AKD-20 Low-Voltage Switchgear [BEFR]
AKD-20 low-voltage switchgear continues the tradition of the AKD switchgear line while delivering enhanced arc flash protection. Built to ANSI standards, its protection features include non-vented panels plus insulated and isolated bus, and it integrates our new state-of-the-art EntelliGuard* breaker-trip unit system. It also features an optimized footprint so that it now fits into a smaller area for the most common configurations.
EntelliGuard* G circuit breakers are the newest line of GE low-voltage circuit breakers, the next step in the evolution of a line known for its exceptional designs and performance. They are available from 800A to 5000A, with fault interruption ratings up to 200kAIC - without fuses.
Integral to the EntelliGuard G line are the new, state-of-the-art EntelliGuard TU Trip Units, which provide superior system protection, system reliability, monitoring and communications. The breaker-trip unit system delivers superior circuit protection without compromising either selectivity or arc flash protection.
The EntelliGuard breaker-trip unit system demonstrates yet again GE's core competencies in reliable electric power distribution, circuit protection and personnel protection.
AKD-20 includes many features that address the needs of system reliability, arc flash protection and reduced footprint size.
Features and benefits
- The optimized footprint uses smaller section sizes when possible. Sections are provided in 22", 30" or 38" widths.
- Breaker compartment doors have no ventilation openings, thus protecting operators from hot ionized gases vented by the breaker during circuit interruption.
- A superior bus system offers different levels of protection. Insulated and isolated bus makes maintenance procedures touch friendly to reduce the risk of arc flash.
- True closed-door drawout construction is standard with all AKD-20 equipment. The breaker compartment doors remain stationary and closed while the breaker is racked out from the connect position, through test, to the disconnect position. Doors are secured with rugged 1/4-turn latches.
- An easy-to-read metal instrument panel above each circuit breaker holds a variety of control circuit devices, including the RELT switch.
- Each circuit breaker is located in a completely enclosed ventilated compartment with grounded steel barriers to minimize the possibility of fault communication between compartments.
- Optional safety shutters protect operators from accidental contact with live conductors when the breaker is withdrawn.
- Easy access to equipment compartments simplifies maintenance of the breaker cubicle and control circuit elements as well as inspection of the bolted bus connections.
- The conduit entrance area meets NEC requirements. Extended depth frame options are available in 7" and 14" sizes for applications requiring additional cable space. The section width also can be increased for additional cable space.
- A rail-mounted hoist on top of the switchgear provides the means for installing and removing breakers from the equipment. This is a standard feature on NEMA 3R outdoor walk-in construction and optional on indoor construction.
- Control wires run between compartments in steel riser channels. Customer terminal blocks are located in metal-enclosed wire troughs in the rear cable area. Intercubicle wiring is run in a wireway on top of the switchgear, where interconnection terminal blocks are located.
- All EntelliGuard G circuit breakers are equipped with rollers and a guidebar to provide easy and accurate drawout operation.
- An optional remote racking device reduces the risk of the arc flash hazard by allowing the operator or electrician to move the breaker anywhere between the DISCONNECT and CONNECT positions from outside the arc flash boundary.
- Optional infrared (IR) scanning windows can be installed in the switchgear rear covers to facilitate the use of IR cameras for thermally scanning cable terminations.
- AKD-20 switchgear can be expanded easily to handle increased loading and system changes. Specify a requirement for a fully equipped future breaker to obtain a cubicle that has been set up for additional breaker installation, or add vertical sections without modifications or the use of transition sections.
- An array of safety interlock and padlocking features are available to accommodate any type of lockout-tagout procedure a customer may have.
- Optional Power Management: With the proper devices and GE Enervista Power Management Control System (PMCS), facility power can be tracked and controlled.
- Optional Metering and Power Quality: The latest high technology EPM devices are available for the AKD-20 with broad capabilities for usage monitoring, cost allocation, load monitoring, demand tracking, common couplings with utilities, load and process control, and power quality monitoring.